MISSION AND HISTORY
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of
others through volunteer service. With nearly 100,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and more than a dozen countries, GFWC members
work in their own communities to support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic
involvement and work toward world peace and understanding.
GFWC members are community leaders who work locally to create global change, with our members raising an average of $25 million through 86,000
projects and volunteering more than 4 million hours annually.
Mrs. L.A. Calder organized the Orangevale Woman’s Club in 1913 as the “Country Life Club”. During these early years the women pursued their
goals of economy in the home. In 1919 the club joined the “County Federation of Woman’s Clubs” and selected the motto “Service Unlimited” which continues to be the guiding force in support of the community and General Federation.
We have supported projects in the departments of Home Life, furnishing a room for the new Roseville Community Hospital in 1953; Meals on Wheels and Serve our Seniors; Education, collecting food labels for schools and establishing a scholarship program in 1960 for local High Schools; Public
Affairs, Youth Center Building, the Orangevale Community Center and membership in the Chamber of Commerce Board; The Arts, and
Conservation, purchasing Penny Pines Plantations for reforestation in the El Dorado Forest and recycling, from eyeglasses to canceled postage
stamps. The Club was named the Orangevale Woman’s Club in 1928.